Monday, March 4, 2013

Product review: Tommee Tippee and Nuk tumbler cups

Transitioning from feeding bottle to sippy cup is just one of the many things a child and a parent experience in their lifetime. It's challenging but exciting. Under our colorful roof when our child reached her first birthday we slowly introduce her to sippy cup. Thank heavens our two beautiful girls were very much open to try new trainer cups except the part that it took us at least an average of three sippy cups before we were able to find the right one. (Beat that!)


My eldest who is now more than four years old has been a loyal user of Munchkin Click Lock 2 Count Insulated Sippy Cup. From Munchkin Mighty Grip Trainer we switched her to an insulated cup so her milk will stay fresh and cool longer so we found the Click Lock 2 and she didn't have problem with that. For two years hubee and I just thought it's time for her to use the straw cup and yes we did buy Foogo by thermos (told you - at least three) and there was quite a protest there. We failed to get her to use the straw until I discovered Nuk Insulated Tumbler Cups.


















These cups were amazing! First of all let me tell you how happy I was when I learned that the insulation has served its purpose and it's truly spill proof.



It's also easy to clean. I don't use sterilizer anymore but the way I clean them I soak them in hot, soapy water and leave them for at least half an hour then I wash them in warm water. It only has three parts to clean: the cup, the lid, and the replacement valve (see the white one in the picture?) It's light and comes in different colors and designs. How cool is that?



















Tommee Tippee Explora Easyflow Cup with Dura Spout is what my two-year-old is using. If only my younger toddler has no issues with cow's milk we would be sticking to just one product without having to clean different tumbler cups unfortunately we don't have that option. Our younger child has multiple food allergies and one of which she is most highly allergic to is cow's milk so we certainly do not want to contaminate her cup with anything that is dairy.



So, this tumbler cup is equally impressive. The soy milk stays fresh longer because of its insulation power. We also did not encounter any leakage. So far, so good. The only thing about this cup is that there are more parts to clean: the cup, the lid, the valves with soft and hard part (see the picture above). Everytime I clean this cup I need to separate the silicone valve from the hard valve and assemble them again making sure they snap into place to prevent any leakage. I don't have issues with the cleaning part but for those who are always on the go and cleaning time matters then settle for the Nuk Insulated Tumbler cups.

In terms of pricing, Tommee Tippee is expensive by $4 or $5. Both trainer cups are 9 ounces and comes in two per pack with different colors and designs to choose from. BPA free and dishwasher safe. Tommee Tippee Explora Cups Qs and Nuk Insulated cups Qs

The spouts of Tommee Tippee and Nuk were surprisingly sturdy in a sense that it's not too soft and not too hard. My kids during their teething months can bite the spout in all their glory but ours didn't show any breakage. Both cups do not have spare parts for spout but they do have the replacement valves mostly sold online.

I have also observed that there were times when both cups make a slight noise (funny how I describe it but really it sounds more like a chuckling piglet) perhaps it depends on the flow of the milk which does not affect the functionality of the cup.

In terms of handhold, Tommee Tippee outshines Nuk with its grip. Nuk's cup is smooth and can fit the standard cup holder of any stroller but Tommee Tippee's cup although both at 9 ounces is bigger in size has better grip for tiny hands.

My findings: I love both brands. It basically met the important points that hubee and I were looking for in a trainer cup. We're happy, the kids are happy, everyone's happy. =)


1 comment: